Replaces old supply pipes. Locate the main supply pipe to one side of the house, or in the basement if you live in cold climates. If the supply pipe is silver plated, magnetic and has threaded connections, it is galvanized steel. Old galvanized steel pipes are often covered by mineral or corrosion clogging, thus preventing water from flowing through. Replace them with copper or plastic pipes to solve the problem.
Check the size of the pipe. A narrow pipe could be the cause of the problem if it is not suitable for your needs. As a rule, the diameter of the main pipe should be at least 19 mm (3/4 inch), or 25 mm (1 inch) if you supply a house with 3 or more baths, while 13 mm / 2 inch) single supply to 1 or 2. a plumber will give more specific recommendations based on your water consumption.
PEX pipes have thick walls, and therefore a smaller inside diameter. If you are replacing a metal pipe with a PEX pipe, use a larger size than the original.
Corrects the problem of low pressure supply of the city with a pump. If you have always had problems, call the supplier company and ask them about your neighbors’ “static water pressure”. If the value is less than 2.1 bar, 21 meters’ water column or 30 psi (pounds on square inch), the problem lie in the supply of the city.
Purchase and install a water pump to correct this problem or continue with the following steps:
- Warning: if your pipes are corroded or clogged, the pump could damage or destroy them.
- High supply pressures may be inadequate for a multi-story house or on a hill. The appropriate pressure for these situations would be 4.1 bar.
- If the water supply comes from a well or a gravity flow system, let a professional adjust the pressure.
Check the supply pressure yourself. Look for a pressure gauge at a hardware store to connect it to a hose tap. Make sure that no devices you have at home are consuming water, including ice machines and toilets. Connect the meter to the hose tap to measure the pressure.
- If the pressure is less than what the service provider mentioned, there could be a problem with the main supply. Talk to your local provider or town hall to see if they can fix it.
- If the supplier is not ready to repair it, install a water pump.
- The pressure fluctuates whenever it is in use. Try again later for a more accurate reading.
When attempting to repair the problem, turn on a few lawn sprinklers to make it easier for you to see changes in water pressure.